Iowa Workforce Development
Future Ready Iowa
Summer Youth Internship Program
Program Purpose & Overview
The intent of this program is to provide high school youth who are at risk of not graduating; who are from low-income households; who are from communities under-represented in the Iowa workforce; or who otherwise face barriers to success and upward mobility in the labor market; with internship opportunities that allow them to explore and prepare for high-demand careers, to gain work experience, and to develop personal attributes necessary to succeed in the workplace.
To qualify, provider must propose programming to serve at least ten (10) youth for a minimum of at least six (6) weeks.
The purpose of this Notice of Funding Opportunity is to solicit applications that will enable Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) to award grant funding to support the goals of the Summer Youth Intern Program and Future Ready Iowa.
Funding Priorities- IWD seeks to prioritize the investment of resources in programs providing internships to youth:
- Who are at risk of not graduating.
- From low-income households.
- Who are from communities under-represented in the Iowa Workforce.
- Who otherwise face barriers to success upward mobility in the labor market.
- Clearly identify key performance measures including outputs and desired outcomes.
- Number of participants enrolled
- Number of participants from an underrepresented population enrolled
- Number of participants completing program and received credential
- Number of participants with secured employment in a high-demand job
- Describe your plan and ability to track and measure each outcome.
- Describe how you will measure the success with an emphasis on enrollment and project completion.
- Any additional performance measures connect with the program design.
IWD’s authority to award these grants is found in the Future Ready Iowa Act of 2018 (Iowa House File 2458).
- Youth: Youth participants must be between the ages of 14-24 from an under represented population or represent a population listed in the Funding Priorities section above.
- Internship: Temporary employment of a student that focuses on providing the student with work experience in the student’s field of study.
- High Demand Job: A job within the occupations the Iowa Workforce Board determines substantial work opportunities are available, and a lack of genuine qualified applicants are available in the state of Iowa. Careers such as those identified on the State Workforce Development Board high-demand job list.
Estimated Available Funds
The State of Iowa has appropriated $302,600 to support the Summer Youth Internship Program. The source of funding is state appropriated and subject to annual appropriations. The current amount available is $302,600.
Estimated Award Amount
IWD anticipates awarding grants to multiple Applicants. Grant awards may vary in amount as determined by the scope of the project. Funding decisions are made as funding is available and IWD is not obligated to provide the maximum grant amount requested.
Project and Award Period
The period of performance is at a minimum of six weeks. IWD estimates the following project dates:
- Start Date: April 1, 2020
- End Date: August 21, 2020
Dates are tentative and are subject to change. Final dates will be determined during the award process.
Type of Award
This is a cost-reimbursement grant. Summer Youth Internship Programs will be reimbursed on a monthly basis through invoicing to IWD. Invoicing should be based on the submitted budget narrative.
Use of Funds
Funds may be used for services and resources to support costs of program participants including for example: Internship wages, training resources, transportation of the participants, clothing, program staff time and indirect costs.
Cost Sharing or Matching
Cost sharing or matched funds are not applicable to this award.
Successful Applicants will be required to submit monthly invoices to document the progress of the project and financial status of the grant. Invoices should include:
- Service/resource costs for program participants;
- Timesheets for all staff receiving wages from program funding describing:
- Hours spent working with youth;
- Services/training provided; and
- Number of youth served along with attendance and completion.
- Available funds, specifically those available to provide support for internship programs.
- Any funds not accessed or needed from original award for remaining programming, services or wages to youth participants will be returned.
Upon completion of the life of the grant period, the performance measures and success stories will be due.
The executed grant agreement will specify conditions for payment and payment schedule.
Eligible Applicants include non-profits, educational institutions, employers, community organizations, and other entities that are in good standing with the State of Iowa.
Grantees must comply with all applicable provisions of state and federal laws pertaining to nondiscrimination, sexual harassment, and equal employment opportunity.
Additional consideration will be given to Applicants that demonstrate:
- The bidder’s history and experience in the community.
- The capacity to serve a substantial number of youth.
- The suitability of the available facilities.
- The bidder’s contacts and partnerships in the community that can be leveraged to maximize opportunity for project participants.
- The capacity to provide employability skills, including but not limited to training relating to soft skills, financial literacy, and career development.
Application and Submission Information
Electronic Submission Instructions
Applicants must submit applications electronically via IowaGrants.gov. IWD recommends that Applicants create an account and complete prior to the deadline. For registration guidance, refer to “IowaGrants.gov New User Registration Instructions. See Appendix D.
Only the Applicant’s authorized representative may submit the application. The authorized representative must use his or her own IowaGrants.gov account to sign and submit the application.
Official email communication from IWD regarding this application will be issued from email@example.com. Applicants are required to assure communications are received and responded to accordingly.
Applicants will enter or attach the following components of a complete application in IowaGrants.gov:
- General Information
- Cover Sheet
- Project Information
- Program Design Narrative
- Performance Measures
- Key Personnel & Organizational Capacity
- Executive Summary
- Budget Narrative
- Application Attachments
- Reference letters from three (3) previous customers or clients.
- Minority Impact Statement
- Authorization, Assurances, and Certification
See Appendix A for further instructions and application guidance.
Submission Dates and Times
Please see the Important Dates section at the beginning of this announcement for the Submission Deadline. IWD reserves the right to extend the submission deadline. Any notice of such extension will be posted on IWD’s website and/or IowaGrants.gov.
Attempted submission of a completed application after the Submission Deadline will not be allowed by the system. If a submission is attempted after the Submission Deadline, the Applicant will receive a notice stating “The Funding Opportunity is closed.”
Application Review Information
|Key Personnel & Organizational Capacity
|Link to High Demand Jobs
|Program Design Narrative
|Employability Skills Training and Professional Development
|Opportunities to earn High School or College Credit
|Opportunities to earn wages
|Three (3) Reference Letters
||Required by IowaGrants-Not scored
|Minority Impact Statement
||Required by IowaGrants-Not scored
See Appendix C for a full description of criteria and a scoring rubric.
Review and Selection Process
A review team will use the criteria listed in the above table to review completed applications.
Some Applicants may receive requests to provide clarifying information and/or make changes to their application including, but not limited to, changes to the budget. This information is used by IWD to make funding recommendations. Applications may be recommended for funding without clarification questions. A request for clarification does not guarantee a grant award. Failure to respond to requests adequately and in a timely manner may result in the removal of applications from consideration.
Selection for Funding
Decisions to award grants and the funding levels will be determined per application based upon compliance with the requirements of this Notice of Funding Opportunity. Final decision on an award will not be made until applicants enter into a grant agreement including but not limited to grant terms, budget, and scope-of-work provisions. Submission of an application is not a guarantee of an award.
Awarding Agency Contact(s)
Please direct any questions regarding this Notice of Funding Opportunity to:
Iowa Workforce Development
1000 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50319
Is available upon request.
- If an Applicant fails to meet any eligibility criterion at the time of an application deadline, the application may still be reviewed but the State will not make an award until all eligibility criteria are met.
- IWD reserves the right to request additional information from Applicants to evaluate applications.
- IWD, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to reject all applications; to reject individual applications for failure to meet any requirement; to award in part or total, and to waive minor defects and non-compliance. Such a waiver will not modify the program requirements or excuse the Applicant from full compliance with program specifications or grant agreement requirements if the grant is awarded. Submission of an application confers no right to an award or to a subsequent grant agreement.
- All application submissions become the property of IWD. If funds are awarded, the contents of all applications will be in the public domain at the conclusion of the selection process and will be open to inspection by interested parties subject to exceptions provided in Iowa Code Chapter 22 or other provision of law.
- IWD is not obligated to award any grants under this program, to pay any costs incurred by the Applicant in the preparation and submission of an application or pay any grant-related costs incurred prior to the grant beginning date.
- All decisions by IWD are final.
- Upon IWD approval, the successful Applicant will receive a grant agreement via email from IWD. The Applicant has ten (10) business days to sign the grant agreement. If the agreement is not executed within ten (10) business days, IWD reserves the right to cancel the award. IWD, at its sole discretion, may extend the time period for executing the grant agreement.
- Any grant agreement awarded by IWD shall include specific provisions, terms, and conditions.